Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, surrounded by jerks.
Look at this lady! She knows a thing or two about jerks! Very well said!
Let’s examine in this article the traits of a psychic vampire and then go through the list of means to defend yourself from that person.
Traits of a psychic vampire
- Learn more about the different kinds of psychic vampires
- Narcissistic psychic vampires have a high sense of self-importance and entitlement. They will become distant and cold if you don’t do things their way. This is because they can’t love unconditionally.
- Victim vampires are constant complainers who believe the world is against their happiness. If you give them advice, they will ignore it and keep complaining.
- Controlling vampires will often invalidate your own emotions in order to dominate you. They are very manipulative and want to control your every action.
- Constant talking psychic vampires keep talking only about themselves without giving you breath.
- Drama queens will turn small matters into huge problems. You are late for a meeting? Too bad! It’s the end of the world!
- Examine how you feel after interacting with that person
- Do you feel strange after talking to that person? Drained? Exhausted? Bad? Do you feel the relationship is one-sided? Weigh out carefully the benefits of spending time with them.
- Check your own feelings about yourself
- Heavy eyelids and an increased need to sleep
- Decreased self-esteem and confidence in self
- You question your choices and feelings
- Depressed mood
- You stuff yourself on carbs
- You feel anxious, depressed, bad
- You feel put down often
What to do now?
- Set firm boundaries
- Psychic vampires don’t like it when people don’t give in and will soon find another victim to drain.
- Be extremely clear what you are willing to do and not do for this person.
- Use body language to your advantage. Cross your arms and break eye contact if the vampire tries to break boundaries. This will send a firm message “Go away! I don’t want to deal with this right now!”
- Step back from the Controlling Psychic Vampire
- If they are offering unsolicited advice, cut them off firmly.
- If you have been “implanted” an “inner critic voice”, which constantly repeats to you that you are incapable of making your own decisions – shut it off! That’s the vampire’s job! Just say to yourself “I want more positivity and yes, I can act on my own!”
- Break the bond!
- The best thing you can do is simply break the bond, or lessen it as much as you can. Very often, the benefits of this will outweigh the negatives, even if short-term it looks the opposite.
- Practice self-care and stress-control.
- Deep breathe to alleviate the stress and take good care of yourself.
- Eat healthily
- Exercise regularly
- Treat yourself nicely every day
- If your feelings have been too broken, talk to someone you trust, or find a therapist.
This test on PSYCHCENTRAL is excellent for the purpose of determining if you are being victimized by a psychic vampire and what to do next.